The 10th Special Olympics Games takes place at the declared Sports Village of the event, which is located in the Felix Varela School of Bayamo, where the competitors are staying.
Until next November 17 the 73 participating athletes compete in athletics, football, rhythmic gymnastics, table tennis and weightlifting, under the slogan: “I want to win, but if I can not win, I want to be brave in the attempt”.
According to organizers of the event, the goal is to achieve mass participation and more than winning it is promoted to improve health and develop interpersonal relationships.
Besides the competitions in the different sports, the event offers cultural and recreational spaces, while the closing is scheduled for next Friday afternoon.
Special Olympics is an international organization that changes lives by encouraging and empowering people with intellectual disabilities, promoting acceptance for all and fostering communities of understanding and respect worldwide.
Founded in 1968 by Eunice Kennedy, the Special Olympics movement has grown from a few hundred athletes to more than three million athletes in more than 175 countries in all regions of the world.
These events provide handicapped people and with intellectual disabilities with opportunities to reach their potential, improve their physical condition, demonstrate courage and to have joy.
On the front page
- Blockade against Cuba has Generalized Opposition in U.S.
- Cuba Celebrated 150 Years of National Anthem
- Original sheet music of La Bayamesa exhibition in Bayamo
- A wax sculpture of the Indio Nabori was unveiled in Bayamo
- Descendants of Perucho Figueredo honored the Festival of Cuban Identity
- Che Guevara is Remembered for His Impeccable Example
- The Plaza of the Cuban National Anthem
- Computerizing society, a joint effort to promote development
- Cuba Prioritizes the Use of Technology in Education
- Fidel opened four programs of the Revolution in Granma
- Results from New Expedition of Archeological Site
- The Flowers Fair will shortly take place in Bayamo