The political event and military ceremony to re-inter the remains of Carlos Manuel de Céspedes and Mariana Grajales took place yesterday, October 10 with the presence of Army General Raúl Castro Ruz, President of the Councils of State and Ministers.
Minutes before the ceremony began, Raúl and members of the Party Political Bureau paid tribute in a guard of honor to the two independence heroes, known as the Father of the Homeland and the Mother of all Cubans.
October 10 marks the 149th anniversary of the launch of the War of Independence at the Demajagua sugar mill, providing an appropriate occasion for the ceremony in the Santa Ifigenia cemetery, Santiago de Cuba. Céspedes and Grajales’ remains have been relocated to the central area of the cemetery, so that visitors may pay tribute to both patriots more expeditiously.
More than 350 guests from the eastern provinces and Camagüey are participated in the event, and subsequently the people of Santiago, representing all of Cuba, paid tribute to Carlos Manuel de Céspedes, Mariana Grajales, José Martí and Comandante en Jefe Fidel Castro, in Santa Ifigenia’s central area.
On the front page
- Cuban Civil Society Holds Forum Called Thinking America
- U.S. and Cuban companies reach agreement on Heberprot-p
- Granma adopted measures to prevent forest fires
- Granma to celebrate 16 years of the television rooms program
- An electoral system backed by the people
- Authorities Assess New Tourist Routes in Granma
- Cuba Performs Dynamic Test prior to General Election
- Cuban teams to play against Mexican pro clubs
- Granma´s professionals received tribute on Cuban Press Day
- Bayamo paid tribute to Carlos Manuel de Céspedes on 144 anniversary of his death
- The dark result of passion
- Roel Santos: I never give up or tire