The political act and military interment ceremony of the remains of Carlos Manuel de Céspedes and Mariana Grajales began this Tuesday, October 10, in the presence of Army General Raúl Castro Ruz, President of the Councils of State and Ministers.
Minutes before the ceremony began, Raúl and members of the Party Political Bureau paid tribute in a guard of honor to the two independence heroes, known as the Father of the Homeland and the Mother of all Cubans.
October 10 marks the 149th anniversary of the launch of the War of Independence at the Demajagua sugar mill, providing an apt occasion for the ceremony in the Santa Ifigenia cemetery, Santiago de Cuba. Céspedes and Grajales’ remains have been relocated to the central area of the cemetery, in order than visitors may pay tribute to both patriots more expeditiously.
More than 350 guests from the eastern provinces and Camagüey are participating in this event, and from 9.00 am the people of Santiago, representing all of Cuba, will be able to pay tribute to Carlos Manuel de Céspedes, Mariana Grajales, José Martí and Comandante en Jefe Fidel Castro, in Santa Ifigenia’s central area.
On the front page
- National Assembly deputies begin study of draft proposal
- More than 400 health professionals graduated in Granma
- Granma celebrated the Children´s Day
- Sao Paulo Forum Debates Latin American Integration
- Puerto Rican Musician Gilberto Santa Rosa Arrives In Cuba
- The Plaza of the Cuban National Anthem
- Computerizing society, a joint effort to promote development
- Fidel opened four programs of the Revolution in Granma
- Cuba Prioritizes the Use of Technology in Education
- Results from New Expedition of Archeological Site
- The Flowers Fair will shortly take place in Bayamo
- May Day: Massive parade shows support for the Revolution in Granma