In a hard-fought match that needed extra innings, Granma won away 4-3 over Ciego de Ávila and went ahead in the grand final of the 56th Cuban National Baseball Series.
Closer Miguel Lahera earned the win while the also reliever Raidel Martinez took the loss.
The current champions took the lead in the second inning when scoring thrice, with highlight to a solo homer by catcher Osvaldo Vazquez.
But Granma managed to tie the score in the eighth thanks mainly to a double by SS Yordan Manduley and a two-RBI hit by second baseman Carlos Benitez.
Then the game went to extra-innings and it was then when Roger Machado, Ciego de Avila´s manager, with two outs and empty bases, decided Martinez not to walk Alfredo Despaigne, Cuba´s best slugger nowadays by far, with the subsequent result that he sent the ball over the fences of the right field.
Thus, Granma takes a very important step in their aspirations to win for the first time this competition.
The second game of this final will be today and the starting pitchers should be the right-handers Vladimir Baños, for the local side, and Noelvis Entenza, for Granma.
On the front page
- First remain of victims of the plane crash arrived to Granma
- One of three survivors of Havana air disaster passes away
- Cuba united in grief
- 2018 Meteoro Popular Exercise concluded successfully in Granma
- Cuba´s First VP Valdés Mesa highlights efforts to clarify the plane crash
- Computerizing society, a joint effort to promote development
- The Plaza of the Cuban National Anthem
- Fidel opened four programs of the Revolution in Granma
- Cuba Prioritizes the Use of Technology in Education
- Results from New Expedition of Archeological Site
- The Flowers Fair will shortly take place in Bayamo
- May Day: Massive parade shows support for the Revolution in Granma