Despite many expectations, the Granma Sorrels were crowned champion of the 56th National Baseball Series for the first time in history, surpassing this Sunday 3-2 to Ciego de Avila team, until yesterday monarch of Cuba.
The Sorrels, who achieved the feat of winning the final play-off 4-0, reached the trophy at his own Martires de Barbados stadium, in Bayamo, before a fondness that trusted all the time on the team which surpassed its best result, the bronze medal of the 1988-1989 season, under the direction of Carlos Martí.
Talking to the press, Martí dedicated the success to Commander in Chief Fidel Castro, who 60 years ago landed in this province to begin the armed struggle in the mountains against the Fulgencio Batista´s tyranny.
Ciego de Avila opened the scoring in the fourth inning, after a hit to the right field of Osvaldo Vázquez that impelled to Donald Duarte; while the sacrifice of Ruben Valdés gave the second runs for the Avilians.
In that same inning the locals scored one, for a base on balls to Carlos Benítez with full bases, although the Sorrels missed the opportunity to earn more, before the existence of outs in the blackboard and men in all the pads.
Yoelkis Céspedes´s hit impelled the tied in the seven inning, then Aviles defined the match when after three base on balls to them, connected sacrifice fly to the left and took Alfredo Despaigne to the home.
César García earned the win, while Jose Angel Garcia took the loss, and the reinforcement Miguel Lahera achieved his eleventh save in the championship.
During the postseason, Guillermo Avilés, with three run homers and 13 impelled. Carlos Benitez (promoted 11) and Despaigne, who despite receiving 20 base on balls, connected six hits, three of them homers, and allowed nine men to step on the rubber.
Nevertheless, the performance of the squad of Roger Machado was relevant, who disputed gold for third consecutive year and remained all the season with excellent figures in offensive, defense and pitching.
Thus, Granma will represent Cuba in the coming Caribbean Series, to be held from February 1st to 7 in Culiacan, Mexico.
On the front page
- Farmers of Granma hopes to host the National Act for the 60th anniversary of the Agrarian Reform Law
- The Pharmaceutical Factory of Bayamo provides two new products of high demand in Cuba and Latin America
- Cuba Denies the Preparation of Terrorist Acts against any State
- Roel Santos, champion of Colombian Professional Baseball League
- Activist of the Brazil´s Landless Movement affirms that Cuba is a horizon
- Che Guevara is Remembered for His Impeccable Example
- The Plaza of the Cuban National Anthem
- Computerizing society, a joint effort to promote development
- Cuba Prioritizes the Use of Technology in Education
- Fidel opened four programs of the Revolution in Granma
- Results from New Expedition of Archeological Site
- The Flowers Fair will shortly take place in Bayamo