The President of the Cuban Parliament and member of the Political Bureau of the Cuban Communist Party, Esteban Lazo Hernandez exchanged on Thursday in the city of Bayamo with baseball star Alfredo Despaigne who finished the season with an excellent performance in the Japanese Professional League.
“He is a tremendous baseball player, pride of the Cuban people”, said Lazo, with applause from all present in the main meeting room in the headquarters of the People’s Power in Granma province.
Later, Lazo congratulated the athlete for his performance in the season in which Despaigne finished leader in homeruns and RBI’ s, obtained two titles with the SoftBank Hawks.
The President of the Parliament asked Despaigne several questions like his experience in Japanese baseball and peculiarities of the training system and velocity of its pitchers.
On behalf of the Cuban people, Lazo gave him a large photograph of Despaigne in batting position and urged him to continue his success and for the nation.
Alfredo Despaigne thanked everyone present for the welcoming and spoke very humbly about some of his recent results in Japan with his colleague Cuban pitcher Livan Moinelo.
He also expressed his desire that Granma baseball team win the National Baseball Series for the second consecutive time.
Esteban Lazo is currently in the eastern province of Granma overseeing work of that region’s economy.
On the front page
- Blockade against Cuba has Generalized Opposition in U.S.
- Cuba Celebrated 150 Years of National Anthem
- Original sheet music of La Bayamesa exhibition in Bayamo
- A wax sculpture of the Indio Nabori was unveiled in Bayamo
- Descendants of Perucho Figueredo honored the Festival of Cuban Identity
- Che Guevara is Remembered for His Impeccable Example
- The Plaza of the Cuban National Anthem
- Computerizing society, a joint effort to promote development
- Cuba Prioritizes the Use of Technology in Education
- Fidel opened four programs of the Revolution in Granma
- Results from New Expedition of Archeological Site
- The Flowers Fair will shortly take place in Bayamo