The Cuban duos of Sergio Gonzalez-Nivaldo Diaz and Leila Martinez-Lidiannis Echeverria won their respective matches in the second day of the 21st stop of the 2017 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour, based in Quinzhou, China.
Gonzalez and Diaz, who appear 18th in the men´s world ranking, beat 2-0 (21-13 and 21-16) Turkish Giginoglu-Mermer (125) in only 33 minutes.
Meanwhile, the women´s pair of Martinez and Echeverria (46) won 2-0 (21-15 and 29-27) over New Zealanders Alice Bain and Julia Tilley (64) in 40 minutes, according to the official website of the contest.
Cuba´s contenders in the round of 16 will be the Belarusian duet Dziadkou-Kavalenka (52) and the Americans Fendrick and Branagh, who debut as couple in this tournament, in the men’s and women’s events respectively.
In this major competition, Gonzalez-Diaz and Martinez-Echeverria aim to gain points for the world and NORCECA rankings, as well as continue their preparation focused on the Barranquilla 2018 Central American and Caribbean
On the front page
- National Assembly deputies begin study of draft proposal
- More than 400 health professionals graduated in Granma
- Granma celebrated the Children´s Day
- Sao Paulo Forum Debates Latin American Integration
- Puerto Rican Musician Gilberto Santa Rosa Arrives In Cuba
- The Plaza of the Cuban National Anthem
- Computerizing society, a joint effort to promote development
- Fidel opened four programs of the Revolution in Granma
- Cuba Prioritizes the Use of Technology in Education
- Results from New Expedition of Archeological Site
- The Flowers Fair will shortly take place in Bayamo
- May Day: Massive parade shows support for the Revolution in Granma