The Cuban duos of Sergio Gonzalez-Nivaldo Diaz and Leila Martinez-Lidiannis Echeverria won their respective matches in the second day of the 21st stop of the 2017 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour, based in Quinzhou, China.
Gonzalez and Diaz, who appear 18th in the men´s world ranking, beat 2-0 (21-13 and 21-16) Turkish Giginoglu-Mermer (125) in only 33 minutes.
Meanwhile, the women´s pair of Martinez and Echeverria (46) won 2-0 (21-15 and 29-27) over New Zealanders Alice Bain and Julia Tilley (64) in 40 minutes, according to the official website of the contest.
Cuba´s contenders in the round of 16 will be the Belarusian duet Dziadkou-Kavalenka (52) and the Americans Fendrick and Branagh, who debut as couple in this tournament, in the men’s and women’s events respectively.
In this major competition, Gonzalez-Diaz and Martinez-Echeverria aim to gain points for the world and NORCECA rankings, as well as continue their preparation focused on the Barranquilla 2018 Central American and Caribbean
On the front page
- Cuban Civil Society Holds Forum Called Thinking America
- U.S. and Cuban companies reach agreement on Heberprot-p
- Granma adopted measures to prevent forest fires
- Granma to celebrate 16 years of the television rooms program
- An electoral system backed by the people
- Authorities Assess New Tourist Routes in Granma
- Cuba Performs Dynamic Test prior to General Election
- Cuban teams to play against Mexican pro clubs
- Granma´s professionals received tribute on Cuban Press Day
- Bayamo paid tribute to Carlos Manuel de Céspedes on 144 anniversary of his death
- The dark result of passion
- Roel Santos: I never give up or tire