Discus thrower Yaime Perez and boxer Andy Cruz were chosen best athletes of individual sports in Cuba in 2018 according to the results of the annual survey released at Havana´s Sports City Coliseum.
Specialists of the National Institute of Sports, Physical Education and Recreation and members of the Circle of Sports Writers also selected ballplayer Alfredo Despaigne and Sanailis Nikle (field hockey) as best athletes of team sports.
The best team of the year was the Cuba Domadores (boxing), while the highlight in team sports went to wrestling and hockey; as well as wrestler Luis Alberto Horta won the award as rookie of the year.
The men´s canoe (C-2) crew made up by Serguei Torres and Fernando D. Jorge received the highest number of votes in the non-individual category.
Another prize included for the first time in the survey was the one of the event of the year, which went to Lianna Montero, winner of the first medal of the women´s wrestling at universal senior level.
The 10 best athletes of the year in Cuba were cyclists Arlenis Sierra and Marlies Mejias, judokas Idalis Ortiz and Ivan Silva, long jumper Juan Miguel Echevarria, heptathlonist Yorgelis Rodriguez, wrestlers Yowlys Bonne and Montero, boxer Julio Cesar La Cruz and gymnast Manrique Larduet.
A special mention went to shooter Jorge Grau, top multi-medalist in the Central American and Caribbean Games of Barranquilla, and there were also recognitions for the winners in world championships.
In addition, it was also known the 2018 best junior athletes, awards won by wrestler Milainis Martinez and triple jumper Jordan Diaz.
The 10 most outstanding junior athletes were Lester Lescay (athletics), Anisley Garcia (diving), Melani Martinez (athletics), Idalberto Umara (boxing), Tamara Roble (taekwondo), Nahomis Acosta (judo), Roxana Gomez (athletics), Hanser Rodriguez (handball), Orestes Martinez (canoeing) and Maikel Vidal (athletics).
On the front page
- Arlenis Sierra, best athlete of 2018 in Granma
- The Educator´s Day dedicated to Fidel in Granma
- Communist Party Leadership Analyzes Cuban Draft Constitution
- Bayamo hosts the 1st Provincial Workshop on Computarization of the Society
- Raúl Castro Receives Doctors Who Collaborated in Brazil
- Che Guevara is Remembered for His Impeccable Example
- The Plaza of the Cuban National Anthem
- Computerizing society, a joint effort to promote development
- Cuba Prioritizes the Use of Technology in Education
- Fidel opened four programs of the Revolution in Granma
- Results from New Expedition of Archeological Site
- The Flowers Fair will shortly take place in Bayamo