The conga rhythm animated the streets in many part of this province on Thursday night when the Granma baseball team reached its second success in the second match of the grand final play off of the 56 National Season.
The Eastern squad, also known as Alazanes, beat the Tigers of Ciego de Avila, with a score of (3-2) at the José Ramón Cepero stadium.
The pitcher Noelvis Entenza had an essential performance, who worked until the eight inning and allowed only two hits, to achieve his first win over the Avilans and the third in the current playoff, including two against the Matanzas Crocodiles.
The boys of the experienced coached Carlos Martí Santos scored one in the first inning, thanks to Yordan Manduley´s double and an impulsive hit by Yunior Paumier.
Then, Vladimir Banos, rival pitcher, retired the next 12 batters before the Guillermo Avilés´ hit in the fifth inning.
In the seventh, the Alazanes came back hard with 3 hits and two runs, led by Carlos Benítez, who confirmed his good offensive form and now has four impelled and three hits in the two games of the final.
Reliever Miguel Lahera entered in the eighth and earned his first save, while the reinforcement Vladimir Baños lost.
Ofelia Fonseca, retired woman, told the Cuban News Agency that the Granma team is playing like never before and she is very happy, like the rest of her family, who watches all games, excite, jump for joy and dream with reach the championship.
She said that the most tense moment for her was in the eighth inning, when the Tigers, current champions, scored two runs and threatened to tie, but also became very tense in the ninth, as the Avilans had a runner in second base with only one out.
During the match, many people sent e-mails via cell phones, chats or other ways, and hundreds of people, resident or not in the eastern territory, also showed their happiness in social networks, such as Facebook, where many people published short stories of the party, and Photos of some players.
Los Alazanes also won the first game of the final last Wednesday (4-3), which included a decisive home run by Alfredo Despaigne in the tenth inning.
Granma came to the discussion of the title after defeating the Crocodiles in Matanzas four times, and Ciego de Ávila achieve it thanks to its successes over the team of Villa Clara.
On the front page
- One of three survivors of Havana air disaster passes away
- Cuba united in grief
- 2018 Meteoro Popular Exercise concluded successfully in Granma
- Cuba´s First VP Valdés Mesa highlights efforts to clarify the plane crash
- Cuban President offers condolences to families of victims
- Computerizing society, a joint effort to promote development
- The Plaza of the Cuban National Anthem
- Fidel opened four programs of the Revolution in Granma
- Cuba Prioritizes the Use of Technology in Education
- Results from New Expedition of Archeological Site
- The Flowers Fair will shortly take place in Bayamo
- May Day: Massive parade shows support for the Revolution in Granma